Subject: Re: [Leica] ideal SINGLE lens for M6HM
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 21:51:16 -0500

Mark,

Even though I own and use extensively a 70-200 Canon zoom, I agree with
what I think you are saying about zooms being "a key to mediocrity".  For
me, also, they are the same.  I find myself getting very lazy when using
the zoom...need closer just turn the ring...sometimes is a way of getting
a photo easy instead of thinking about composition and such.  Back when
shooting news I never used zooms...always shot primes.  Had 3-5 cameras
on my person at times and always seemed to have the right lens when
needed because I was able to "see" in the focal lenghts I was
shooting...can't say I can do that with a zoom so I find myself "hunting"
for the right length more often.

Don't know if this makes sense or not, but just the way I
"see"...probably ought to just get on with it and go back to all primes,
but dern it is nice to only carry one lens where I used to have 3.....

More power to those of ya'll who think in zooms.

On 7/4/99 1:17 PM Mark Rabiner wrote:

>Yes although I wouldn't turn down one of those newly styled Nikon
>lenses, the 80-200 matching the 28-80 I think the numbers go.
>They seem deadly functional. But I haven't shot with a zoom in years, I
>played with one for five minutes on the road a few months back. An
>indispensable tool for most, a key to mediocrity for me.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net