Subject: [Leica] the apo 90
From: Leopold Green <ldg@dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:55:46 +0100

Hi all,

received my APO 90 ASPH M at long last yesterday, this being one of the
German manufactured stock, as opposed to the [I imagine] ultra rare Canadian
ones which slipped out a couple of months ago. The box still says Made in
Canada, but the lens is stamped Made in Germany, with the part number
beneath it, haven't seen that before [but then only have three other
lenses]. Serial Number is in the 3856xx range, and the 'instruction' booklet
has changed to a fold out thing.

The lens seems to use a type of coupling device I have never seen before, a
piece of metal that pushes directly out, seems smooth though. The aperture
ring is much looser compared to the lenses I'm used to, very similar to the
new 135, no sense of it being easy to accidentally shift it though. Looking
into the lens you can see the round things which control the diaghram
blades, never seen this either...

Hoping for good results, sorry for the appalling English, my work's server
is about to shut down...

Leopold.