Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Gloom-Buster VS 75mm f/1.4 ...
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 22:59:32 -0400

InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:

> A really big proportion of people who started in 35mm photography as
> hobbyists in the 60's or early 70's still feel the most comfortable with a
> 50.  For a lot of us it was our only lens for a good while, until we could
> afford another one, which was most likely a 135.  To this day, if I could
> have only one lens, period, I'd have to choose a 50 (or its equivalent in
> another format), for no other reason than I've got more experience making it
> "make do" than any other focal length.
>
> DT

I've mentioned this story before but when I used to do daily news
photography I worked with guys who had grown up using Speed Graphics.
For them, they had one good chance at making the photo; a second sheet
of film was often a luxury. Of course lens changes were next to
impossible. This brought to them a discipline which they instilled in
me. Namely, that you could do just about anything with a 50mm lens on a
35mm camera. If you wanted a tight shot move in closer; a wide shot,
move back. Any sort of mechanized or automatic film advance was scoffed
at and considered a luxury. Timing, awareness, subject knowledge,
discipline and interaction were the qualities they continually
emphasized. So, too, were lighting and a sense of narrative or story
telling. It was the best education I could ever have for this
profession.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/