Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Again (slightly off-topic)
From: Kevin Leong <kevinl@ind.tansu.com.au>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 18:58:40 +1000

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:

> Then why all of the problems using it as you have described?  Besides "fine
> grain" and "consistent results" which Kodak's Microdol has provided for
> decades, what does this "remarkable developer" really provide?

My testing has shown that with TMX, XTOL 1:1 gives characteristics very similar
to T-MAX developer (ie. a very linear curve) but with much, much finer grain; it
seems less sharp but I'm not able to quantify this. However, I have not found it
to be very consistent and it seems much more sensitive to temperature variation
and there is measureable variation between batches (not to mention the batch
with solidified Part A which was recalled by Kodak). I can't offer the
definitive word though as my testing technique has a strong home-baked flavour
(eg. I use a spotmeter instead of a densitometer).

> Has anyone really done some definitive tests to determine how it stacks up
> against the standard developers?

Apart for T-MAX developer, I've only compared it against D-76 1:1: XTOL, at the
same dilution, gives much finer grain and appears sharp. The D-76 curve that I
measure looks very similar to that published in the TMX data sheet ie. the foot
contrast is higher and has a much more pronounced shoulder. I've found D-76 to
be much less sensitive to temperature changes.

> Is the developer used in the old Nikor type tanks that allow the developing
> agent to exhaust in the highlights and keep working in the shadows or is it
> just being used in the Jobo type constant agitation equipment?

I develop with a Paterson tank and usually agitate as recommended in the data
sheets; I've experimented with less agitation and have found that results were
not consistent - flat tonal areas were blotchy. This is especially the case if
you do not always develop with the same number of reels.

> Is the developer used as a one-shot for consistency or used over and over
> again with time compensation guessed at as the developer wears out?

Kodak recommends one-shot use when diluted but includes time-compensation and
replenishing instructions in the data sheets.

> Is the developer used with the slow films such as Tech Pan and Agfa 25 or
> does it work best with the high-speed, huge-grain films?

I would guess that it will not work well with Tech Pan unless you're looking for
a very high contrast effect. The XTOL data sheet is very comprehensive and
includes development times for a surprising number of films at different EI's
and dilutions; contrast indices are included for a lot (all?) Kodak films. I've
had no problems pushing Tri-X and TMZ with X-TOL but have done no real tests.

I can't tell you much more, I'm afraid - I regard testing as a chore and only
test film/developer combinations that I use regularly. If you're after more, I'm
sure someone on rec.photo.film+labs will be able to help you. :-)

- --
    Kevin Leong
    Telstra Intelligent Network Platforms
    Phone: +61-2-9206-3474  Fax: +61-2-9281-1301
    Gallery: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kckleong
    TFN: 3453-7577-2424