Subject: RE: [Leica] Noctilux Gloom-Buster VS 75mm f/1.4 ...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 07:16:56 -0700

Hi Folks,

The very interesting "technical DOF dialogue" and experiences by others on
use of a Noctilux made me start "worrying and thinking" about things I
never considered this past 33 years using mine. Although I knew at 1.0 it
better be right where you want it in focus or it's screwed!

So I thought, in my small mind, "Gee maybe I've been doing something wrong
and should pay attention to all this DOF stuff."

Well I did that and each time I used the Nocti, a little  thinking wheel
went in motion. I began calculating, then worrying, making considerations,
being more critical, holding the camera at a more delicate and careful
focusing position. Focused, once, twice, calculated, did it again and again
with the words of many users swirling in my mind, "DOF..DOF..DOF!"

"Gee I bet these are going to be better than all get out, because I'm being
more careful, calculating the 1-2- or 3 DOF inches, worry worry worry etc."

Guess what? :)  All that thinking process screwed-up more frames and took
the feeling out of my "calculated DOF" images than most 1.0 images of the
past many years. :):)

Sorry I gotta tell you folks, I'm just going back to my old fashion way and
shoot without thinking! :)  I guess I'm a "gut feeling"  kinda guy and
relate to what it looks like on film and in print as the main concern.

My pictures and equipment handling have pretty well been with little
technical thought, but a whole bunch of heart.

So me and the Noctilux once again fade to the twilight zone, warm in the
heart without the feelingless things technical.:)  I know all thoughtless
waste of band width!

Sorry folks I get emotional for an old fart, as I have learned so very much
of technical value on the LUG. Some I've used and it's made me a better
shooter. Then some as I explained above. :)  Just thought you'd like to
know at least I tried.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant