Subject: Re: [Leica] R-8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:03:10 -0700

>Doug Herr wrote? I think?

>It's because you had no qualms about risking damage and/or total
>destruction.  The more you pamper your camera the fewer pictures you make!
>Leicas are not meant to be pampered!>>>>>>>>

Hi Doug, (or whomever sent the above post.)

I realize many of the LUG members are great photographers, but some "pamper
their Leica babies" because that's economic life.

We have two situations here: Those that earn their keep through their
Leica's and those who use them in a hobby, really it makes no difference as
we all pay the same.

The folks who work them, sometimes almost to death, don't relate to them in
the same economic vain as the amateur. However we don't beat them on rocks
nor misuse them, but we sure work the hell out of them. I do and have
always done that because I expect them to out perform other manufacturers
gear.   Which they have always done! I don't have time to worry about
whether I get better service from Leica or whomever, I expect them to work
every time I call on them to expose film!

My R8's worked flawlessly out of the box, ('96) yes I know others had
problems back in '96 early '97. However, I had absolutely no problems with
mine, as in the camera itself. I did have a glitch with the winder when I
first mounted it to the body, but my ever diligent assistant Sandy sorted
it out and it worked wonderfully.   "Until they were "stolen" at the
Commonwealth Games. :(

But the second machine (R8) and winder has worked equally as well and I'm
always surprised at the unfortunate malfunctions reported on the LUG.  But,
if we consider the number of R8's sold world wide compared to the limited
numbers on the LUG, the malfunctions are probably not as bad as they appear
within our limited number of R8 list members of 700 plus.

That is no excuse for the malfunctions, as they just shouldn't occur with
Leica equipment. Although a doctor friend was just whining about the new
Mercedes he purchased! So I guess "accidents happen in any family!" :)

The only reason I don't have 3 R8's at the moment? The motor isn't
available and as a one eyed photographer motors are an essential part of my
picture taking. When they are available, (motors) I'll have two more R8's
in the blink of an eye with motors. Plus one motor for the R8 on hand. Then
I'll return the winder.

I feel sorry for those who have encounterd problems with the R8, as I
consider it  the best of the Leica SLR breed and I've used them all other
than the R3....but then it was only good for an anchour on a boat! ;)  I
know not all feel this way!  However....................

So if any of you are contemplating an R8 purchase I'd go for it. If you
have a problem, don't worry the LUG with it, get it right back to Leica in
whatever country you live.  But ask for a replacement, don't mess with
"fixy uppers!"

And don't accept anything less! Sometimes we have to become mean assed
SOB's even if that is not our character.  Besides they cost a little more
than $1.98 a pound!:)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant