Subject: RE: [Leica] Noctilux Gloom-Buster VS 75mm f/1.4 ...
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 21:09:50 -0400

<. I began calculating, then worrying, making considerations,
being more critical, holding the camera at a more delicate and careful
focusing position. Focused, once, twice, calculated, did it again and again
with the words of many users swirling in my mind, "DOF..DOF..DOF!"

"Gee I bet these are going to be better than all get out, because I'm being
more careful, calculating the 1-2- or 3 DOF inches, worry worry worry etc."

Guess what? :)  All that thinking process screwed-up more frames and took
the feeling out of my "calculated DOF" images than most 1.0 images of the
past many years. :):)

I just posted about my better shots with the R4s vs. R7.
It's got nothing to do with (or little anyway) anything but what you say.
I'm not an old fart though.
But I am entirely unschooled in photography - and this is what I do.  My
shots were not demanding, as they were taken with no concern but compose and
make sure the shutter is fast enough and then play with DOF.  I have never
been to a photography workshop, ever - I attended one class once and that
was it - it was 'critical' and it was analyzed, and to make it simple, the
rule of thirds - is just brilliant.  I had all my shots in the third because
it looked good at the time - retrospectively I followed a,b,c and now that I
take more into consideration I sit by the garbage can more.  I do have great
respect for those who know this stuff inside and out all complex levels
which is usually the best of them in practice as well.  It's the backbone of
of the whole thing - from glass to choosing a desired shutter speed.  For me
the Big one is Composition - you can't think about composition, or you can.