Subject: Re: [Leica] Quebec
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 15:24:33 -0400

At 10:22 -0400 09/07/99, Roy Feldman wrote:
>I am going to Quebec city next week [ ... ]
I would also would like to hear any hints on "can't miss spots" ...

	--> just about everywhere in the old walled city
	and, going down East ward, the Place Royale
	should provide you with "atmospherics"
	unique to Quebec city.
	I assume if you take a few minutes to say hello
	and present yourself, you should mostly find
	a positive attitude  towards you and you "big eye
	looking at me thing"...

	--> you MUST go about 80 miles North-East from
	Quebec itself in CHARLEVOIX region which is
	where Quebecers tend to flock in the last few years.
	Look for the road signs to
		--> Beauport
		        --> "Ste Anne de Beaupre"
			    --> "Baie St Paul"  (= Charlevoix)
				--> "Tadoussac"
	If you get to Tadoussac, that the Saguenay River with fjords,
	an hour further on. Baie St Paul is scenic, right by the
	St Lawrence, with lots of people. You may have to
	drive back towards Quebec at this time of the year
	if you have no hotel reservations. Manoir Richelieu
	is a very traditional hotel complex, somewhat like
	Chateau Frontenac with leisure amenities.
	Petite Riviere is a nature lovers' area with many
	"natural camping" sites. Bring bug stuff though... !

	--> during the Summer, Montreal has a lot going for it,
	photo-wise. The Vieux Port (Old Port) area
	is a redeveloped area but everything is real
	and restored. Lots of people there.

	--> in Montreal, too, you could find a lot of
	"material" on a no motor vehicles area West of
	Sherbrooke Street and University (generally
	going East from there).

	--> in Montreal, another area worth a photographer's
	time is the Market area, a few blocks down
	from Atwater & Ste Catherine West, early in the
	morning, when the workers deal their vegetables
	and whatnot and for the general activity there.
	I don't really know of their attitude for "outsiders"
	with cameras, but you might enjoy it. About 4-5 AM...
	Durin the day, the customers there are very varied
	and quite colorful, as the many cultures that make up
	Montreal's mosaic tend to get along rather well,
	save for a few hot heads now and then.

	- avoid Cote des Neiges area with expensive Leica stuff at
	night. Criminality is quite bad there, I'm told.

	Depending on hour of day, you'll find different attitudes
	towards photographers. If at night, people may think
	you are a police photographer depending on your
	general personality and photo style.
	During the day, you should have no problems,
	as far as I can tell, perhaps simply a matter of mutual respect.
	Generally, street crime is well controlled and people
	would tend to be quite open to the idea of a
	casual portrait. People are people, though.
	My prejudice is that the Quebec area people
	are more receptive to "newcomers".
	I've never heard anything about tipping for photos
	and such.
	You can pretty much make "slice of life" time
	slots for a same area in old Quebec and come
	out with totally different impressions.
	Have VERY comfortable walking shoes and start
	early. The light plays fantastic effects on buildings'
	textures, stone masonry, narrow streets, little
	nooks here and there. Early on sunny mornings,
	Saturdays especially, the shop owners setting
	their flowers and stuff can make excellent subjects.
	I'd tend to go about with a 35mm on standby
	but you also have that magic 75. Old Quebec can be
	a 21 and 24 area if you're into architecture
	and unorthodox angles...
	You may also get carried away, have a ploop attack,
	sit down on a cafe-terrasse, sip some wine or beer
	and soon, you'll be the photo object...  [ ! ],
	the photographer photographing the other photographers...
	Bring your sense of humour with you, too,
	with a serious intent to enjoy yourself and the company
	you're with. These are quite "good vibrations" areas.

	You mention something about "ducking": I suppose
	you think people would hit you ??? Very UN-Quebec
	like, unless if you start looking for drunks and
	derelict characters in the backstreets at night,
	otherwise, I find the notion amusing. I simply can't
	imagine Quebecers hitting people BUT if someone
	tells you 'no photo', pay heed, please: it could be
	a clandestine relationship... ( "pas de photo" = "no photo")

	I hope this helps, and I assume, out front, you wouldn't
	spend a day in any of those areas without getting
	a few really worthwhile and satisfying shots.

	You should walk in right during Quebec City's "Festival
	d'Ete", and find yourself in photo wonderland,
	as it's usually around July 10-15th they have a week to 10
	days of all day street festivities, orchestras, jugglers,
	"amuseurs publics", freebie shows, even reaching outside the
	old walled city. Try and find yourself a seat at the
	Cafe Krieghof, even if crowded.
	Around Chateau Frontenac, let the young women
	put clown make-up on your face: it may even be a sly
	way to get "in" on great shots... and in the spirit of things
	and be less intimidating as photographer... [ ! ]
	Next year should be Medieval Year, costumes and all:
	I simply don't know about this year.
	Call Tourist Information at 1-800-363-7777 to confirm.

	How I wish I could sell you on Fuji XTRA 800
	rather than B&W for night shots. During the Festival,
	some people are quite "bigarré" : flashy. The general lighting
	level should easily allow 1/30th at f/4, f/5.6 at ISO 400.
	Henri Leclerc Camera is the Leica shop to know about
	in Quebec: family owned, clean business, very good people.
	Their original boutique is about 1 1/2 mile before Montmorency
	Falls, going towards Ste Anne de Beaupre and Charlevoix.
	There's another one in the downtown area. I assume Henri's son
	now runs it. Henri Leclerc was a rather short attaching man
	but you always remember his kindness and total devotion
	to photography as art, technology and customer satisfaction.

	Another Quebec City area that can be interesting
	as photographer and hungry person is the Rue St-Paul area
	a few hundred yards from Place Royale. During the
	Festival D'Ete, these areas should provide you lots
	of photo ops and justification for that 75mm beauty...
	and a few pounds to shed off later on.
	You then can proceed to the old port, two, three blocks
	North and find yourself amid thousands of people,
	local and tourists, enjoying the very buzz of things there.
	After supper is best there, before sunset.
	Ile d'Orleans has a few centuries old flour mill
	turned restaurant. I don't know how the food now rates,
	but the place sure is unique.
	You may want to check on "tables champetres" ("field tables", sort
	of great food orgies organized to make happy people
	have a very good time for a whole evening); make reservations early.
	Don't drink and drive in Quebec: they've become very
	stiff in the last few years.

	A bit long, but that's what comes to mind.
	Enjoy your stay.

	Andre Jean Quintal

	PS: Atget: hadn't read that name in a long while. Roger Atget ?
	Maurice Atget ? Interesting photographer.

	PS2: make extra sure your film is well threaded:
	you'd hate to tell about the fish that got away...

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.