Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica's woes
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:34:29 -0400

Good Morning,

Although originally posted as a complaint,
I'm impressed with the high service standards
this LEICA R6.2 customer was served with.
Leica took it upon themselves
to provide a brand new camera,
allowing for the possible but improbable situation,
even no questions asked, and prompt courteous service.
It also is graphic proof of the excellence
the Leica Passport Warranty stands for.

Running the warranty from the date of original purchase
is as fair play as can be. In Quebec, this is what
the Law directs. It probably also is expressly stated
as such in the Passport Warranty itself.

I come to wonder what constructive use this serves,
the childish habit to wail in public when something mechanical
or electronic happens to become defective, even Leica:
if anyone has owned a car, it's o-f-t-e-n FAR worse,
far more expensive and it's considered a normal part
of owning a car that nothing is perfect
and that everyone can make an error now and then.

As for me, I'll take Leica's word anytime
that they don't play around with new inventory.
The tripod marks themselves preclude any involment
of Quality Control: it's 100% obvious to anyone
who has ever been involved in Service or Management
of ANY consumer directed business.
Perhaps somebody down the line is going to have
to give a real good explanation of why this happened [ ! ] ...
and they're very lucky I'm not involved !

I'd buy the one R6.2 sent back for service, to be true ...
even as "refurbished" or "demo": no problem at all,
as long as I'm told it has been in for service
and get a decent compensation and a full warranty.
Which lens to start with? The new 28mm or a 35-70 macro-zoom ...
or the 60mm Macro-Elmarit ... ? Hmmmmm ....  envy, real envy !

Again, I'd grant a GOLD STAR to Leica
for their positive customer directed service policies
and efficient Passport Warranty program.

Andre Jean Quintal

At 06:18 -0400 09/07/99, Dan Cardish wrote:
>This is not so in Canada.  At least, most warranties do not work this way
>here.
>Dan C.
>
>At 07:56 PM 09-07-99 +1000, you wrote:
>>Hoyen,
>>you should query the statement, that the warrantee of the new camera
>starts at
>>the date the replaced camera was sold. In most countries, civilized, that is,
>>the warrantee starts new again from the date of the replacement, or
>repair, if
>>this was within the original warrantee period.
>>
>>Don't let any Leica distributors rip you off.
>>
>>Regards, Horst Schmidt

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.