Subject: [Leica] 35 Summicron M vs R
From: Hp35@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:15:51 EDT

Can anyone explain why the 35 Summicron M (pre-ASPH) is so compact when
compared to the 35 Summicron R lens. On my M system, the 35 is a favorite
lens because it is smaller than the 50. Whereas on my R system, I shy away
from the 35 because of its relatively large size when compared to the 50mm R.

I looked at the element diagrams of these lenses, and while the 50's are very
similar in the M & R, the 35's look like a completely different design.

Any thoughts on this subject appreciated.

Steve Brauner