Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens shades
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:41:01 -0700

"Clompus, Dr. Richard [INN]" wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
> As much as I respect Leica for manufacturing specific lens shades for many
> of its lenses, I greatly appreciate the sliding lens hoods on many of its
> newer lens designs.  They made be a "shade" less efficient, but they are
> always there when you need them.  I tend to lose stuff, put things down and
> forget about them or otherwise end up losing a shot looking in a camera bag
> for the lens shade.  I must admit that the built in shades for some of the
> moderate wide angle lenses may not be optimal, but a less optimal shade that
> is always present is always better than a great shade left in the car or in
> the bottom of a camera bag.  Sometimes (gasp!!!) I don't even use a shade or
> filter on my Leica lenses most of the time.  I guess I like the risk of
> going out and taking pictures without protection.  Its not the best way to
> run your life but it works for me.
>
> Richard Clompus, OD
> Roanoke, Virginia - Center of Leica knowledge

Rebuttal from the hinterland's of Portland Oregon:
My lens shades never seem to go off on their own.
The one on my 35 Summicron ASHP is seamlessless built in the front and
even has a square cap which seems to be made of compressed died black
fertilizer that slips over it. I forget to ever take the shade off.
The one on my 50 Summicron reverses over the lens when not in use. It
used to fly off when I bumped into things but I've since somehow learned
to walk in a straight line.
I think when you walk down a Yuppie infested street your lens should be
protected from flying milk shakes let alone stray sunlight which will
burn a hole in the back of your camera which lowers contrast severely.
I love lens shades especially the rectangular ones. You think of them
like fins on a Catalac perhaps but I think of them like an air inlet on
the hood of a hotrod for the turbo thing.
Mark Rabiner