Subject: RE: [Leica] and personal space....
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 12:25:02 -0400

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Dan Post
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 12:09 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

(snip)
> How many people would react kindly to having a complete stranger come up
> close into one's personal space, touch you on the arm or shoulder, and
then
> push a camera into one's face?

Live by publicity, die by publicity.

Certainly there are rules of common courtesy and behavior that should govern
us all, but those who are voluntarily in the public eye - politicians, movie
stars, etc. etc. - know how the game is played and are in no position to
complain about it.

In terms of Di and Doddie - They didn't need to give a photo op - all they
needed to do was have their driver obey the traffic laws and they'd be alive
today and the world would have a few more crappy telephoto shots through car
windows. Additionally - and apologies to any of Di's former subjects who may
be offended - but I would suggest that Princess Di was an skilled
manipulator and user of the media who was eventually killed and eaten by the
beast she had endlessly fed.

NOW - When we're talking about non-media savvy folks - disaster victims,
etc. - that's a whole other ball of wax - and despite having been a reporter
for 23 years I always wonder why I never see the father of some autocrash
victim punch out the first person to shove a mike or lens in his face and
ask him how he feels. As I often tell people, I would never have allowed me
to interview me in many of the situations in which I operated as a reporter.