Subject: Re: [Leica] Donning his asbestos suit, he asks: "Filters for the 75/1.4M indoors?"
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:55:56 -0500

On 7/13/99 7:36 PM George Hartzell wrote:

>a) I use an 80B filter.  (for extra credit, name your brand of
>      choice) (for extra extra credit, explain why you're using an 80A
>      instead...)

Nah..too much trouble and loose too much light, only necessary for
chromes anyway and even then I like the tungsten look...But then again I
am the guy putting 1/4 CTO gels on my strobes with 81A filters on my
lenses....

>   b) I use a fast, tungsten balanced color negative film (for extra
>      credit, name that film!).

Have never heard of a modern Tungsten color neg film...is there such a
thing...I really do not know??  I think Kodak used to make a type B color
neg film years ago didn't they?  Is it still around?

>   c) My lab just "fixes" it when they print.  (for extra credit,
>      describe how you get them to do this for you)

If you want a color lab to get correct color for you you have to give
them some kind of reference point, hence why shooting chrome is so nice.
On neg you have to let them know the correct color no matter the kind of
light used.  If you have a person in the shot ask them to ballance for
skin tones...still subjective.  If something is supposed to be white tell
them this also.

>   d) I've learned to like "that look".

Yeah...love that look.  Back when I had to cover the CMA shows for UPI
then Country Weekly magazine I used to be the only photog there shooting
daylight ballanced chrome...everyone else was shooting tungsten film...I
almost always got better play including the cover....skin tones look
better warm than cold (you ought to see those Shania Twain shots I
had!!)...have yet to see a Tungsten chrome that is not cold.

>   e) I don't shoot color indoors, just B&W.

HAAA...wish I had that luxury....esp in those industrial settings I
always seem to find myself in....

>   f) I find that the green glass from the bottom of a Coke (tm)
>      bottle balances things out just fine.

If you are going to use a drink container bottom Coke is the best...a
proven fact.... Pepsi just don't cut it. Can't stand Pepsi.

>   g) other.  For credit, please explain.

Shoot it out of focus paint it red and call it art.

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net