Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers and privacy - a tale from the 1970s
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:09:18 +0000

>All this talk about how close a photographer can get to you without
>violating your privacy reminds me of one of my first trips to Paris in
>the late 1970s.
>
>There I was was trotting along the street feeling full of good food,
>vin ordinaire and good cheer, when my astonished eyes sighted a
>genuine cast-iron vespasian - aka a pissoir.  Now, for the benefit of
>those who have never seen one of these relics of yesteryear, this
>unique French contribution to public sanitation is for the use of the
>male sex only, and provides only a modest degree of screening to
>gentlemen who require its services.
>
>The chance to say I'd used one was too good to miss. In I went, and
>set about my business. Even as I heard the tinkling sound of
>second-hand vin ordinaire striking the metal, I also heard the sound
>of the mass release of camera shutters plus the noise of multiple 8mm
>cine cameras.
>
>Looking in the direction of this barrage of photographic activity, I
>discovered that the facility I was using was overlooked by a higher
>location, and that I could see an impressive number of camera lenses
>pointed in my direction. Waiting for the unsuspecting victim was
>obviously a well-known activity for coach-loads of camera-wielding
>tourists. I was doomed to feature in dozens of holiday slide shows and
>film shows that winter!
>
>Regards,
>
>Doug Richardson

Doug

How many people have the experience of peeeing into that fine relic and
gets the act recorded in film for posterity?

It is a proud achievement to be able to pee (just ask those poor critters
with prostate problems how much effort it takes them do what you take for
granted), eat, drink vin ordinaire, take pictures with Leicas, and what
else have you.  We all have only this life on earth ... so live it with
gusto!

Well done again, Doug, and next time don't forget to smile at those nice
touristas.

Dan K.