Subject: Re: [Leica] Donning his asbestos suit, he asks: "Filters for the 75/1.4M indoors?"
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:54:08 +0800

>When you folks are shooting color film with your wonderful 50/1.0 or
>75/1.4, how do you avoid the dreaded orange glow from incandescent
>lighting?
>   a) I use an 80B filter.

You could use an 80C, 80D  or 82C. Anything helps, and these lose much less
light than an 80B or 80A. (With slides I have even used a KB20)

>   b) I use a fast, tungsten balanced color negative film (for extra
>      credit, name that film!).

I don't think there is any 35 mm still tungsten neg film, never mind fast.
Kodak's fast tungsten slide films have already been mentioned, I'll add the
classic Scotch (single grain rather than single malt in this case) 640T.
There are also fast motion picture tungsten neg films (320, 500 and 800)
but they are expensive to get processed well.

>   c) My lab just "fixes" it when they print.  (for extra credit,
>      describe how you get them to do this for you)

Include something grey and/or white as a reference at the start of the
shoot/roll.

>   d) I've learned to like "that look".

...until I see a properly corrected picture with vibrant, saturated colours
beside the orange thing.

>   f) I find that the green glass from the bottom of a Coke (tm)
>      bottle balances things out just fine.

The contents of a glass or two of Scruttock's Old Filthy, Tanglefoot or
Timothy Taylor's Landlord will also affect the balance of things.

Regards,
Malcolm