Subject: Re: [Leica] "Filters for the 75/1.4M indoors?"- Certainly!Especially for ne...
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:21:20 +0800

>The filters are usually, as I recall, 80a the corrects regular 3200 K
>tungsten to 3400K for tungsten film, 80b for using using daylight with
>3400-3600K photoflood, then a deeper 80c and 80d.

Er, no, I think that your memory has slipped a little.

The 80C and 80D are paler blue than the 80A and 80B. The 80A is the bluest
of the bunch and will correct 3200 K (ie pro tungsten, or P2 lamps, the
temperature of B type film) to 5500 K.
The 80B will correct 3400 K (ie amateur P1 photoflood lamps, the
temperature of A type film) to 5500 K.
80C corrects 3800 K to 5500 K.
80D corrects 4200 K to 5500 K.
The bluest filter in the B+W line is the KB20 which corrects 2800 K (ie
household tungsten) to 5500 K.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, anything helps - so when shooting neg
film I always use the nearest filter I can get away with in the light. Good
to hear Mark recommending the same. When shooting slides I prefer to use
the correct filter - which is why I have a KB20 for household lighting.

Thanks go to Don Post for speaking up in favour of correct filtration at
the shooting stage when using neg.

I'm surprised that no-one has flamed me for mentioning tungsten movie film.

Regards,
Malcolm