Subject: [Leica] re: Prices on E-Bay
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:00:24 -0700

On 16 Jul 99, Andrew Nemeth wrote, at least in part:

> Unfortunately this appears to be standard practice on ebay.  Often
> the seller or a stooge jacks up the price five minutes before close
> of bidding.  So either you have to cough up double what you expected if
> you really want the item, or else you end up paying much more than anyone
> else was prepared to pay (as in your case here).

Wouldn't it require a couple of stooges? Let's assume one
stooge/shill. Also, assume a price of $500 bid so far by the usual
methods. The stooge, 5 min before closing time bids $1000. If
there aren't others taking the bait, the stooge's bid will only
increment the bidding to the next level, which I think is what, 5 or
10 dollars more in the $500 range?

If, however, two shills are working the bidding, then, it would be
possible to fairly rapidly increase the bid price to a much higher
level. This would show up in the bid history and would, when
properly reported and documented, be cause for the shills to be
summarily de-registered, thus barring them from future
participation on eBay. Also, the legitimate and interested bidder
should see this activity and stay the devil out of it from then on.

Usually, if someone is 'had' in an auction, it is as a result of
getting 'carried away' in the bidding. The fever is sometimes hard
to put down. Bidders must do due dilligence and set a limit on
what they are willing to spend for the item, then, STICK TO IT!

No one puts a gun to your head and forces you to continue
bidding. Stay loose!

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org