Subject: [Leica] Re: Summilux vs. Summicron
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:28:38 -0700

On 15 Jul 99, Mark Rabiner wrote, at least in part:

> Some excellent arguments Roger but while I am taking the standpoint of a
> Pro I am just as much taking the standpoint of a student or under
> capitalized but highly motivated fine art photographer dreaming about
> glass they would not lay their hands on for years and what they would do
> with it once the finally got it. I see my rich friends buying and selling
> the dreams of my and many a broke student youth. My "Insult to the
> equipment" argument has had people rolling their eyes for years but it has
> more and more meaning to me as I go along. Mark Rabiner

Many have guilt pangs after managing to leave their starving
student days behind them, Mark. That's commendable and noble.
It is also commendable & noble to achieve that for oneself. The
beauty of capitalism and a reasonably free economy is that no
one is truly relegated to wander the streets of student poverty
forever.

Even making a gift of a no longer wanted piece of Leica gear to
the above starving student is no guarantee that great images will
be forthcoming. The student's role is to learn. With that learning
and good amounts of zeal, hard work and a bit of talent, he'll rise
like Phoenix and be tomorrow's maestro in his chosen medium.
(Disclaimer: Chauvinist though I am, I freely admit that changing
all masculine references above to the feminine, the above still
holds (and beautifully, I might add).

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

    This is one of those cases in which the imagination
     is baffled by the facts.
               -- Winston Churchhill