Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL JB: Bergger
From: ottmar-x@t-online.de (Keith Bingman)
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:36:21 +0200

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Bergger Paper is mentioned right there on their site (The Lotus site) and last
> night I saw a slew of the stuff (with hand written translations) in the walk in
> freezer of my local Pro Photo supply. Come's in VC versions and I think this
> might be the oldest existing photo paper maker. Anyone print on this stuff from
> their exquisite Leica Negs.? I hate to waver on my papers as it feels bad in my
> portfolio print box but this stuff seems like it might be Nirvana if the supply
> is could be consistent.
> Mark Rabiner

Mark,

Bergger is wonderful stuff with an amazing range of colors available with or
without toning. It is actually quite a new company, but based on an old formula.
Monsieur Gerard was previously the head chemist of Guilleminot papers, who made (I
think) the old Zone 6 papers. My only complaint is that it is VERY slow, 3-4 stops
slower than the Agfa Multicontrast Classic, though I usually can manage it. I am
spoiled by modern papers. I tried the VC version, but generally I stick with the
graded versions.

Another interesting paper is the Silver Supreme with a 100% cotton base for an
effect similar to Platinum/Palladium prints. This is relatively hard to get (I
placed an order at Photokina and got it in January) but well worth the wait. I
have had no trouble getting the "normal" papers.

Give them a try.

Keith Bingman
ottmar-x@t-online.de

Riedheim, Germany