Subject: RE: [Leica] Voigtlander 35 1.7 Ultron
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:11:41 +0100

Tom,

The viewfinder manufacture is interesting, to copy so delightfully the Leitz
50mm style of finder is very attractive, and they also offer a 28mm finder,
something which will please users who have quibbled over the high price of
the Leica version. Will this precipitate a 28mm lens as well, we shall have
to wait and see.

The thing which intrigues me with these lenses is the quaint aperture values
they offer. It's been a while since 'speed races' saw companies vying for
the fastest lens by a 0.1 of a stop. (Remember those f1.9 lenses?) To me, an
f2 lens is somehow 'better' (through understatement) than a f1.7 lens which
seems to be trying too hard for the extra speed. I'd rather have better
quality at f2 than the almost useless extra half stop. In practical terms,
I'd rather have the Canon 50/1.4 than the 50/1.2.

Maybe it is a concious 'retro' styling in the numbers, again, playing to
that recreation of 50s opticry? The Nokton was f1.5 wasn't it? But the other
lenses are new fabrications, we shall be interested in seeing what they can
do.

best regards,

Jem