Subject: [Leica] British Mags, US Mags, The third world
From: "Harold Gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 00:40:26 +0200

Hi Luggers

It's funny really, how people see the British as kind of 'low-budget'. I get
a lot of UK and US magazines and what always strikes me is how people all
over the world differ in their views/priorities. I live, as do a number of
other luggers, in what is really the third world, and I use Leica and Nikon.
Most of my fellow pros use Nikon, Canon, and Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leica, and
so on, here in this end of the swamp. I think it just depends on your view.

I think a lot of pro photographers here would rather shoot quality gear and
drive a third rate car, live in a rented house, etc. than work with poor
gear. Hell, I would rather eat beans on toast or in Africa, pap en sous
(porridge and sauce) for dinner than have to do without good gear, and I've
done it too, day after day.

However, it seems priorities in the first world are often different and
people would rather have a nice house, nice car and nice food than make the
sacrifices for good gear. It all depends on priotities!!!

Today I saw a photographer who sells his work through Black Star selling
Leica and Hasselblad gear to make ends meet. Life is tough. Maybe with a few
good shoots he can eat pap en sous for a few months and replace his gear,
maybe not.

Maybe life is all about priorities. Maybe more people could afford Leica if
they got their priorities in order.

Best wishes

Harold
(©¿©)

You can send a short text message to my cellphone by sending e-mail to
0837004303@sms.co.za.
Please ensure that mail sent for this purpose is in plain text only.

My e-mail addresses are as follows:

haroldgess@journalist.com

gess@icon.co.za

Please use either of these to reach me and, lest you lose sight of it, have
a nice day!