Subject: RE: [Leica] why leica?
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:56:56 -0700

> can you say, concisely, why you do use leica? what is it exactly about
> these cameras that appeals to you? let's try to avoid the hyperbole of the
> fanatic devotee and explain why we choose this camera over another.

(M comments only)

The feel of the camera.  Its simplicity.  The directness of contact I feel
when I look through a viewfinder that doesn't abstract my vision with a
groundglass.  The quality of the lenses.  The sense that I'm using the best
and that any deficiencies in the image are my fault.  The realization I get
when I look at a screwed-up shot - that the camera didn't do *anything* to
cover for my lack of attention or skill, and that if I want to get better, I
have to pay more attention to my photography, not just learn another
operating mode on the camera.  And a bit of a sense of history - if all
those people made all those world-changing photographs with this machine, it
behooves me to learn how to use it properly!

Paul Chefurka