Subject: [Leica] Leica and coming digital age
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:44:52 -0700

Yep, Walt, you got it right. The Coming digital age is exactly why I bought into these Leicas
recently. My newspaper is outfitting me with digital cameras in the next couple months.
I figured wer're coming to a crossroads where soon if you're not going for ultimate quality you
might as well go digital. I've always cared about the quality of my work, and figuring digital
won't be as good as film for at least another ten years, and that hopefully those ten years will
be the best of my career, it made sense to indulge. You only live once, and you get the chance at
capturing these passing moments on film only once. Makes sense to make the most of them.
To me it's kinda like why Spielberg (for notoriety's sake, I'd prefer to invoke Wenders) shoots
his movies on film rather than videotape.
In this rush for the latest gadgetry, photography has been the victim.
And by the way, I just bought a 50mm lens after spurning it since J-school because it was the
commoner's lens or something stupid like that. All I can say now, is, it's immediately one of my
two favorite lenses (28mm being the other) and I wonder at the compositions I've missed in the
twelve years since I picked up a camera.