Subject: [Leica] Leica pro service
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:00:22 -0700

Harrison,

I don't blame you for switching. If I was freelancing and on a limited budget and could only
rely one one system (I'm not presupposing that describes you), it sure wouldn't be Leica R,
love it as much as I do. I'd like to go freelance someday, if the biz side of things
stabilizes and it looks like a sane decision again, and I'd supplement my Leica wide-angle
lenses with Canon telephotos (I like Nikon better but they focus the wrong way).

As for the pro service, I haven't had any problems. I got a loaner the first time I sent in my
R6.2 (the light was staying on when it shouldn't have) and was offered another loaner when I
said I had to send in my R8 for the sync problem (I declined because I'd just bought a used
R5, which is quickly becoming my favorite body). Quick turn-around, etc. The last time I'd
tried to get any thing from Nikon it was like no way, the daughter of the King of Papua New
Guinea is getting married and all our gear is loaned out for it, or something like that. And I
was an NPS member. I understand Canon's service is much better though.

Sure, I wish I didn't have to send in my first two bodies so soon after getting them. That's a
bit troubling, but the good thing is the problems were not catastrophic. I sent them in at my
leisure. As the end of the warranties approach, no doubt I'll be more concerned if the trend
continues. It seems however, and this is just me again, that the failures of the EOS and F4's
at my paper were more commonly catastrophic. That's what scares me more.

And I was aware of the sync voltage issue, but I don't think that's what did it, unless it
happened quietly, and took out only the sync plug but left the other electronics intact. The
hot shoe still worked, and I used a voltage-regulating adapter on it for flash work thereon.

The Canon lenses are sharp. I don't dispute that, it's other qualities I find superior in
leica glass.

Happy shooting,

Dave Yoder