Subject: Re: [Leica] 28 pc
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 12:54:36 -0700

- --------------3A0A220D34BA92CF90A55BBC

Having just returned from Oregon doing  interiors on four 30-some foot boats,
and having borrowed a 28PC and 35PC lens (Nikkor) from a friend, I can tell
you I am addicted.  Except I want a 20mm and 15mm PC (any idea how small boat
cabins can be?).

As for boat interiors:  nowhere to put light stands (the floor not big
enough); mostly used bounce light where ever I could get the heads to sit,
rats' nest of cords; had to paper the windows for later computer drop in of
outdoor scene (but tried to light through the window so frame is "alive"; a
great stylist is as important as the photographer (I had a great one who went
with); I mostly felt like a pretzel; I also felt like a biscuit being baked
(it was in the 90s and inside a boat inside a metal building); Tsing-Tao beer
nearly frozen and served in a frosted glass is appropriate reward for such
suffering; it would have taken at least as long as lighting a scene as to
figure out how to get a tripod to stand in any place I wanted to shoot from,
especially with several angles to do (and made me want a Benbo tripod); a PC
lens is difficult to frame stopped down with the dim finder and vignyetting
(so it is necessary when handholding to find reference points to line things
up when you can't see the whole frame); taking two sync cords in no guarantee
you'll have at least one working by the end of the job; aspirin and Tylenol
are vital photo chemicals.

donal
- --
Donal Philby