Subject: Re: [Leica] A4, etc
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:06:30 -0700

- ------=_NextPart_000_009C_01BED8E9.3EC17D00

While there is really something wrong with the timeframe linkage between =
the plague years and the Napoleonic political reformation, I can still =
see some members of this list singing:

Ring around the rosy
a pocketful of Leicas
ashes, ashes, all fall down

Ted, is that what you sang at the time?

I think I have been reading too many of Mark's messages and it is =
impacting my sense of humour. (and my apologies to the digest readers =
who have to read the html crap Buzz posted ---  I don't know how to =
remove it).

Bill

Buzz comments:
   =20
   =20
    At its worst, the bubonic plague is estimated to have killed about =
three fourths of the population of Europe.  If another plague claimed =
the same proportion, I would expect that it wouldn't reduce the price of =
new Leica gear, in fact, because of labour shortages, the cost of new =
gear would rise.  However, the lower demand might force a steep =
reduction in the cost of used Leica equipment to those unfortunate =
enough to survive.
            For those who still use a measuring system coming from the =
Middle=20
            Age :-), an inch is about 25,4 mm.=20
            Oh, come now!  The metric system is responsible more than =
anything for the decline of civilization since the Napoleonic Era.  If =
we resurrect the firkin, rood, and fortnight and dump those silly metric =
measures peace and prosperity would spread across the world and every =
photographer could afford Leica lenses!

            While Bernard replied:

        Of course that might solve the problem of war and conflict, but =
who knows.... The Plague could hit us again!

- ------=_NextPart_000_009C_01BED8E9.3EC17D00

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#c8e0d8>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>While there is really something wrong with =
the=20
timeframe linkage between the plague years and the Napoleonic political=20
reformation, I can still see some members of this list =
singing:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Ring around the rosy</DIV>
<DIV>a pocketful of Leicas</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000>ashes, ashes, all fall down</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Ted, is that what you sang at the time?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I think I have been reading too many of Mark's messages and it is =
impacting=20
my sense of humour. (and my apologies to the digest readers who have to =
read the=20
html crap Buzz posted ---&nbsp; I don't know how to remove it).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Bill</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Buzz comments:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT>
    <DIV><SPAN class=3D590412516-28071999><FONT color=3D#0000ff =
face=3D"Book Antiqua"=20
    size=3D3>At its worst, the bubonic plague is estimated to have =
killed about=20
    three fourths of the population of Europe.&nbsp; If another plague =
claimed=20
    the same proportion, I would expect that it wouldn't reduce the =
price of new=20
    Leica gear, in fact, because of labour shortages, the cost of new =
gear would=20
    rise.&nbsp; However, the lower demand might force a steep reduction =
in the=20
    cost of used Leica equipment to those unfortunate enough to=20
    survive.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>
        <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE =3D CITE><FONT size=3D-1>For those who still =
use a=20
            measuring system coming from the Middle</FONT> <BR><FONT =
size=3D-1>Age=20
            :-), an inch is about 25,4 mm.</FONT>=20
            <P><FONT size=3D-1>Oh, come now!&nbsp; The metric system is=20
            responsible more than anything for the decline of =
civilization since=20
            the Napoleonic Era.&nbsp; If we resurrect the firkin, rood, =
and=20
            fortnight and dump those silly metric measures peace and =
prosperity=20
            would spread across the world and every photographer could =
afford=20
            Leica lenses!</FONT></P>
            <P><FONT size=3D-1></FONT><FONT color=3D#000000>While =
Bernard=20
            replied:</FONT></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>Of course that might solve the problem of war and =
conflict,=20
        but who knows.... The Plague could hit us again!</BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_009C_01BED8E9.3EC17D00--