Subject: [Leica] Yasuhara camera
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 14:15:16 +0100

Friends,
I found one available and now have it in my hands. The briefest of reports
for you having rattled a film through it this lunchtime (it arrived this
morning).

Having as bright a day this Summer as ever and coupled with a Jupiter-3
50/1.5 lens I was able to test the 1/2000th sec shutter speed admirably. Not
having a flash with me at present, I didn't pursue the 1/250 flash sync
option, though it's good to see there's both a hot shoe and a rear co-ax
socket.
But a Leica it isn't. Much more akin to the Bessa-L, the feel is light and
the shutter sound a clack/tizz, to be expected I suppose. The cost is such
that there is plastic to be seen, e.g. rewind button underneath. Chrome
finish is thin in parts, and the delayed release lever is a loosish fit.
The castings look a little rough, or handfinished in parts, (cf. to Leica)
there seem to be many external cross headed screws on view, something that
makes you appreciate the minimal elegance of the Leica's securing mechanism
but which at the same time reminds you of the Contax G cameras, something I
believe the designer worked on..

Inside the viewfinder there is a soft edged rangefinder patch, though in
itself it is bright and good to use, the wonderfully large viewfinder, (1:1)
is sadly blessed with occasional stray light patches appearing from who
knows where. Perhaps the most disappointing factor is the invisibility of
the leds displaying the light measurement in bright light conditions, this
requires a dull environment to use the meter succesfully. Sadly, the leds
are also soft (i.e. out of focus).

The serial number is 303, I suspect there will be various updates and
modifications being made as time goes on. But I suspect the results will be
pretty much everything one could wish for, I'll keep you posted.

Jem