Subject: RE: [Leica] Canon 28 or 35.
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:13:59 +0200

Hi Jem,

The more I look at pictures by HCB, Riboud, Boubat (to name a
few), the more I doubt they were using hyperfocal that often. Do
examine their shots. The backgroup is most of time out of focus
and so is the foreground. But the subjects *are* sharp provided
that in the 40-50th the films were slower than now, the separate
telemeters were a nightmare to use (sorry for the pre-M lovers)
and that the subjects were not slower than today.

> his assistant had to mark
> hyperfocal distances for him on his lenses with red
> nail varnish.

Moreover, I doubt that a person intelligent enough to found
Magnum and to write the most sensible pages about the spirit of
photography was dumb enough to not understand the hyperfocal
concept.

All the best.

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)