Subject: Re: [Leica] annual Leica report
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:28:42 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/99 10:54:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
gklein@excel.net writes:

<< From the sounds of it Leica has said enough to poor quality items from its
 outside suppliers (ahem R8 motors an example).  Sounds like they are taking
 rational courses to make the company profitable and to increase quality of
 products.

I am happy you say Leica is "taking rational courses to make the company
profitable and to increase quality of products" but exactly what is Leica
doing other than spreading around the verbal and printed hog wash that we
come to expect from our politicians?  Are the lens mounts to be made of
plastic rather than metal?  Fire all Leica company quality control employees?
 Has Leica just been reduced to an assembler of camera parts made by
contractors?  Who are these contractors and what are their credentials?  It
would really be interesting to know the specific steps being taken to improve
the product because we all know what steps are always taken by "bean
counters" to reduce "costs" and improve the bottom line.  Cost reductions and
improved bottom lines always come at the expense of the customer.  If Leica
cannot be profitable selling the quality of cameras it now sells, heaven help
the customer who buys the "new deal" Leica camera.  Until such time as
engineers who know something about manufacturing and quality are put in
charge of the company, the direction will continue on the present course in
my opinion.

Thanks for more info on the "new deal" from Solms.