Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Opportunities for cost savings, was: Leica Newsletter XXIX
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:14:49 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/99 10:48:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
roger@beamon.org writes:

<<
 On 30 Jul 99, Lucien wrote, at least in part:

 > snip
 > > As a first core measure the cost of materials of
 > > Leica Camera AG will be re-duced in the short and medium term.
 > > This will be achieved on the one hand by the reduction of the
 > > additional use of materials.
 > > Due to the production process and the materials used,
 > > a substantial volume of waste occurs at the Company.
 > > In this respect, opportunities for cost savings exist
 > > without endangering the high demands with regard to the quality
 > > of the products. Thus alternative materials and production processes,
 > > with which the necessary quality can be achieved without the use of
 > > additional materials, will be applied increasingly. Furthermore, the
 > > Company has increased its standards for suppliers in order to ensure
 > > that less waste will occur due to faulty parts.
 > snip

This is just code for "Leica will be using more out of spec pressure plates
and other parts that do not meet specs to further cut costs along with
wonderful plastics."   Do not suggest that Leica could use the bottoms out of
milk bottles for front elements in the new lenses as the "bean counters"
probably have not thought of that one yet.  As for new manufacturing
techniques, I am already advised the company is using files to make things
fit rather than manufacturing them to fit.  Someone from Solms must have
taken a page out of the pre-WWII Japanese camera industry's book.

It is good to have advance warning about what may be expected from Solms in
the future.

Thanks for the warning Lucien.