Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:16:39 -0700

csocolow wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips/techniques for meterless photography? I use
> the "sunny 16 rule" allowing a filter factor for pollution, etc. I know
> that fluorescent lighting with 400 ISO film is 1/30 @ f/4. My question
> regards ambiguous situations such as shade, overcast days, low-level
> twilight, etc. A year or so ago someone posted an old trick they had
> learned in the military having to do with intensity of shadow cast on
> the ground as a basis for exposure calculation. Cartier-Bresson
> eye-balled his exposures. Anything along these lines would help.
> --
> Carl Socolow

If it was my decision to go meterless here's how I would do it:
I would decide right off the bat which film I was going to be using for the rest
of my life: Tri X or Delta 3200.
After I decided on my film speed for life I would grab my Gossen Pilot or Luna
Pro digital and take off for the day.
IF I was reaaly obsessive I might bring a pad of paper for three columns:
1. Title
2. My guess of the reading,
3. what the reading really was.
Halfway though the day I expect the last two columns to start agreeing.
Then I would take my camera out with no meter connected.
Guess the reading, check with the meter to make sure, then shoot.
By the end of the day I would loose the meter, forever more.
I would run home and run the film and make a contact right off.
I would then make a stack of 8 by 10s and before I lost my list put the
exposures on the back of the prints when they dried. I would then use those
prints as flash cards before I went out shooting next time if I hadn't done it
in a while to refresh my memory as to what is what.
I know this would work. But goodby playing around with different filmspeeds. My
brain wouldn't absorb that.
Mark :-) Rabiner