Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Special Edition M6s
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:07:14 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
>><snip>
> You are right, I am an intensive "shooter", at least for an amateur, and all my equipment
> purchases are made with that in mind. In the end, this is an individual decision, which may be
> right for me but not for someone else.
>
> As far as carrying both M and R systems around: my R system is primarily dedicated to photography
> which is not easily accomplished with rangefinder cameras, and my lens choices reflect this.
> Besides the 50mm Summicron that my SL came with, I have purchased the 60mm macro Elmarit, because
> I have always enjoyed close-ups of flowers etc., and the 180mm Elmarit for the longer stuff. I
> plan to add a really long lens in the future, such as the 6.8/400mm Telyt (check out Doug Herr's
> pictures to see what can be done with this lens!); I also lust for the 28mm shift lens. For me,
> the R system is for specialized use, and I take it with me only when I know that I will doing
> that kind of photography. If I am just going on a trip or walking around town, then the R bag
> stays at home. The M bag is always in the car when I go somewhere, the R bag only when I go
> somewhere with the specific intent to photograph certain things.
>
> Nathan
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > That's why I think you need to hold on to that 135! Yes the 90APOASPH will equal or
> > better ><snip>

Nathan!
With the exception of the "shift" these lenses you are mentioning using and
liking all sound like Viso focal lengths! That joking suggestion that was made
yesterday about the Viso sounds less silly. I thought it made sense yesterday
even. It was said by it's "poster" that it was an "expensive" suggestion but I
was not aware that Viso lenses cost more than R lenses. I thought they cost
less. But less "cutting edge" to match. Anyway I guess you are more flattered
than perturbed by all the attention the goings on on the insides of your camera
bag has gotten with me the fomenter!

Some of us wish that Leica lenses were still made to unscrew from its base for
use on Viso, bellows, other cameras, the front door.
Anything to simplify our operation. This stuff may be small but it sure is heavy!
I think they should make a Batman style utility belt specifically for Leica
lenses. A big rope with a boomerang to shoot out would be OK too.
Mark Rabiner