Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 or M?
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 20:44:24 -0400

Jason,

As you probably are aware, the R4 is one of the least desirable of the
R-bodies.  This doesn't mean it's not usable, it's just not the best R.

I wouldn't base my camera system decision on the QC and design problems of
the R4.  If you find the R4 body undesirable you may consider trading it
for a newer R-body if you really wanted to stay with a reflex camera.  The
R4sP has been quite reliable for me, but has the same viewfinder as the R4.
 Newer R-bodies have better viewfinders.

Decide what kind of system you want first; if it turns out to be Leica R,
then consider whether the R4 is the right body for you.  Some
recently-discontined R lenses are quite compact and lightweight (i.e., 35mm
and 90mm Elmarits) but a comparable M-system can be MUCH smaller.

Doug Herr
Sacramento