Subject: [Leica] Elmarit
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 14:11:57 -0400

You mention the 35 and 90mm Elmarit for the R4, roughly how much do they go
for S/H in the states?  I am trying to figure out the different lens
designations, the Summicron are obviously faster than the Elmarit, is the
optical quality the same?

I would really like to get hold of a 28 or 35mm.
<<<

Jason,

The selling price may vary widely depending on condition.  Dealers want
about $500 for either lens in EX+ condition, while a beat-up but still
functional 35mm Elmarit-R recently sold on eBay for $42.

The last version of the 90mm Elmarit-R is much smaller than the earlier
version.  Either version is an outstanding performer and certainly better
than the 90mm Summicron-R in the close range.  BTW I've been using the 90mm
Summicron-R for 20 years and aside from its weight I'm delighted with it.
I used a 1-cam 35mm Elmarit-R briefly, but that was 30 yrs ago.  It's safe
to say there are no crummy R-lenses, but some are more exceptional than
others.

Doug Herr
Sacramento