Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Special Edition M6s
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:42:55 -0700

Aaron Ruby wrote:
<snip>
> As a newish LUGer and and even newer LHSA member, I wonder what the chances
> of having vulcanite used as a body covering rather than the usual
> 'cheapanite' normally used on the M6. It seems to me that a black enamel M6
> with vulcanite would be an absolute dream for both collector and user alike
> and should not make production costs prohibitive.
>
> A. Ruby

Chances are zero. The vulcanite process required special dies to hold
the vulcanite in place on the body under heat and pressure.  I
understand the special equipment no longer exists. Leica is not likely
to pay to bring it back when I expect it costs more than the present
stick on material.

Dennis

No Archive