Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Special Edition M6s
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 11:38:44 -0700

Aaron Ruby wrote:

> Dennis:
>
> Thanks for the interesting and informative response. Was vulcanite used on
> the M6J? If not, do you know what was used? It just seems a shame that a
> beautiful black enamel camera should be covered in a mediocre material.

My understanding is no, the M6J is not vulcanite.  I think the new
material is pretty durable and has the advantage of being far more
easily replaced than vulcanite.  Having said that I prefer vulcanite for
the more sharp 'grippy' feel of the camera in my hand.

> The reason I ask is that my first M-camera was an M6. After all I'd heard
> and read, I was ecstatic when I got a little windfall with which to purchase
> one. I noticed in the store that it didn't feel "all that" for how much it
> cost, but I just figured it was cold feet, so I took the plunge. Three
> months later I returned it and went back to my Contax S2 (quite a gem I
> might add). That was two years ago. A few months ago I got a decent price on
> an M2, so I tried again. OH MY GOD!!! LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT.

The M is not a camera that all photographers easily come to. After 2
years you have to ask if it is all the M2 or partly changes in
yourself.  The M2 really is a great camera for the 35/50/90 lens
lineup.  Actually I see no reason the 28 cannot work by using the entire
finder frame.

> The opportunity to get a brass top-plate camera (will that add heft and the
> feeling of solidity M6's seem to lack relative to older M's?) with a quality
> covering and an internal meter is almost worth $3000. I'd sure be trying to
> find a way to finance one (although on a graduate student's income, it's no
> trivial proposition).

I find the internal meter handy, but not that great. I still use an
external meter a lot.

There will be other opportunities, if I were you I would shoot the M2
now and when you finish grad school look at what is available then. ;-)
Good luck.

Bests
Dennis>