Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 00:27:03 -0600

Dan Cardish wrote:

> Are you suggesting that all Apple does is assemble the iMac computer?  Is
> that all they do?   Who designed it?  Who determines the specifications of
> all of the component parts that go into the iMac?  Who costs out the
> manufacturing process?   Who manufacturers it?  Apple does.

Apple certainly does not manufacture components such as resitors,
capacitors, CPUs or video chipsets; most are off-the-shelf components.
Final iMac assembly is done by Apple or Samsung. The iBook is being
assembled by a Taiwanese company. Sharp, Sony and Canon have played
major roles at various times, too.

To confuse brand loyalists further, let me add that the Sony VAIO
computers used to contain Intel Seattle motherboards, and some HP's use
Asus, some Dell monitors are thinly-disguised Sonys, and just about
EVERYONE uses ATI and Chips & Technologies (Intel) chipsets! And Leica
has had help from the likes of Kodak, Copal, Eumig, Minolta and Fuji.

In the end, whether we're talking cameras or computers, what matters
most is not where the parts are sourced, or who owns the factory, but
rather, how well the company whose name is stamped on the product
sweated out the details, and how high they set their standards. I'm very
happy with my newish Leica gear, thank you very much. Yeah, Walt's
probably right about someone needing to do final tuning on the M6
bodies, but still!

Jeff