Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:03:42 EDT

dcardish@microtec.net writes:

<< Are you suggesting that all Apple does is assemble the iMac computer?  Is
 that all they do?   Who designed it?  Who determines the specifications of
 all of the component parts that go into the iMac?  Who costs out the
 manufacturing process?   Who manufacturers it?  Apple does.

What you stated is not my view.  "Manufacture" is defined in Websters as " 1:
to make into a product suitable for use 2a : to make from raw materials by
hand or by machinery b: to produce according to an organized plan and with
division of labor" while "assemble" is defined as "the fitting together of
manufactured parts into a complete machine, structure, or unit of a machine."
  If I read Mr. Puts post correctly, Solms does its best to farm out the
manufacture of parts and Solms then assembles the parts into a complete
camera.  Thus, Solms would be an assembler rather than manufacturer.  In any
event, if Mr. Puts is correct, the many of the parts that Solms assembles
into cameras stamped Leica are not necessarily manufactured by Solms but are
purchased from manufacturing concerns.

If there is some percentage of parts farmed out and parts produced in-house,
maybe Mr. Puts would be so kind to provide a list of parts of the M-6 that
are produced in-house by Solms and those that are produced by others than
Solms.  Then we might have an agreed upon basis for determining whether Solms
is a manufacturer of the M-6.

One post suggested the present quality is superior to that of E. Leitz since
E. Leitz used "wooden hammers" to make parts fit snugly.  I would prefer
parts that are of such close tolerances that they had to be hand fitted
rather than produced to such sloppy tolerances that they will work regardless
of how they are assembled.

There was also the suggestion the E. Leitz cameras had numerous provisions
for adjusting the various camera mechanisms while the Solms cameras do not.
I have noticed a number of posts that complain the Solms cameras are
difficult if not impossible to adjust for the very reason Solms has gone to a
less expensive components that do not allow for adjustment.

As far as Apple is concerned, I would not define a person who drafts a list
of specifications, shops the list where components are sold, and assembles
the purchased components into a computer as a manufacturer of computers.

Again, I wish to thank Mr. Puts for further enlightening us regarding who is
really making the Solms cameras.