Subject: RE: [Leica] A most daring proposition - auto industry analogy
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:01:02 -0700

Some may consider this off-topic, but I love analogies to the auto industry.

What Isaac says is absolutely true.  A few years ago, I purchased one of
Mercedes' new E-Type cars.  When they were first introduced, many auto
critics and Mercedes enthusiasts bemoaned the new style of production the
company used to produce the new E.  "Designed and built more like a Japanese
car"..."Switchgear isn't of the same caliber as earlier Mercedes
cars"..."Doesn't have the solid, planted feel of the old cars"..."Feels
lighter than a Mercedes should"..."Alot more components farmed out to
subcontractors", etc, etc.  Sound familiar?

But you know what?  The new E is simply better in every measurable category.
I grew up with these cars.  My father owned several different models over
the years.  I can tell you from personal experience that Mercedes' move to
more modern production technologies has resulted in a better product,
period.  The new cars are more trouble-free than ever.  Like the old Leicas,
my Dad's Mercedes 220 required delicate adjustment by an expert of its dual
carburetors to optimize performance.  In my car, a computer continuously
optimizes engine tuning, taking into account ambient environmental factors.
Leica needs to move with the times to stay competitive.  I applaud them for
continuing to improve thier production techniques.  Mercedes figured this
out in the early 90's, and is now more globally competive than ever before.

- --Jim Laurel