Subject: Re: [Leica] Waiting for new cameras ?
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 19:33:42 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/99 11:41:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< Subj:     [Leica] Waiting for new cameras ?
 Date:  8/3/99 11:41:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  Wolfgang.Oehms@t-online.de (Wolfgang.Oehms)
 Sender:    owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 To:    leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

 Hallo LUG`s
 its look like that everybody is waiting for new (Leica) Cameras. I think the
"R`s" are running out.
 New "M`s" are not been seen. Every one is waiting.
 Questions to Tom A: A softtop an a winder, was that all? Why dont you start
to build a camera-body (like M) ? Just a box with a hole, a shutter and
perhapse a viewfinder. Thats not the world !
 Regards
 Wolfgang

Wolfgang,
 Trust me, I have thought about it, but it is a rather massive project and
even if I farmed out all the parts (would it still be my camera?), it
requires more know-how than I posses. If I did it, it would have a long base
rangefinder, at least 120-130mm long, made from fiber optic and thus could be
'snaked" through the body casting, rather than be stuck on top. It would have
at least a 1/125 flash synch speed and probably 1/2000 top speed. Framelines
for at least the 24 to 135 mm focal length, with provisions for "magnified"
lines for the 21 and the 180. You would loose some clarity on the 21 due to
the added optical system for the "wide view" but I could live with that. The
180 focal length could be handled by a sliding frame (automatic, coupled to
the 180 mount) enlarging the 135 frame to handle the view. The longer
rangefinder base would make it possible to use a 180, at least for the 10
feet to infinity range. An M-type camera that could handle a 180/3,4 APO, now
that would be something wouldn't it.
 The release would be hydraulic, an oil filled piston that would eliminate
release shake (wonder if one had to change oil for winter and summer-use?).
The metering system should be simple, an average meter, similar to the
current M6, but with the provision of a spot meter option. All mechanical
shutter, no battery dependence apart from the meter circuitry. If the battery
goes, the meter goes, but everything else will continue to work.
 Winder should be an optional unit, it should accept a mechanical advance
such as the Rapidwinder, but also a power winder and within the limitations
of the shutter, should handle 4 frames/sec. Could be driven by a CR-5 Lithium
battery (the one used in the Canon EOS), The latter was not my idea, Gilles
Peress at Magnum suggested that as a power source, he favoured it over
standard AA batteries. When connected, the cameras meter circuit would be