Subject: Re:[Leica] re: m4-p questions
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 23:19:33 EDT

David, What you have managed to wear down to is the nickel plating under the
black chrome. Another couple of 1000's of rolls should reveal the brass! The
black chrome is applied over a layer of nickel on the brass, this serves as a
sealer and it also makes the black chrome salt (Eloxal, a Leitz product)
adhere better. To my knowledge, there were no recessed housings made from
zinc-alloy and I suspect that the flush windows were a design feature that
was necessitated by the casting. Recessed windows would have forced the
manufacturer of the top-plate to make a casting form that split down the
middle, otherwise the form would not release the finished casting. This would
have resulted in a "spine" down the center of the top-plate and further
machining. My old M4-P has a couple of brassy patches on it were the nickel
plating has been worn through. The black chrome is sensitive to wear and you
can quickly get the "silver" edges on a body but the nickel is quite tough
and resists wear quite well. The reason you don't see this on the chrome
bodies is that it has the same color as the chrome finish and it is also
possible that Leitz applied the chrome directly to the brass. The black
chrome is a different compound than the regular chrome plating. Black chrome
plating involves nasty stuff like hydrochloric acid and cyanide (not in the
same bath though!) and very strong electrical charges going through it.
Definitely not a kitchen counter job.
Tom A

Subj:    [Leica] re: m4-p questions