Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-ray Test
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:10:03 -0700

Paul Schiemer wrote:

>I won't let my film (either exposed or unexposed) go through the X-ray
>machines.  I carry a purple Crown Royal bag with draw string (have as many
>as four to choose from, different sizes), hang that on the side of my camera
>bag- hand it over for hand checking as I go through the metal detector-
>never a problem, they're more than happy to comply.>>>>>>>

hello Paul,

Have you tried this going through Finland airports? Helsinki?  They are
very "unfriendly" when you ask for hand check and make no bones about their
equipment operating in a "no damage to film mode!"

I almost missed my flight to New York because I wanted exposed film hand
checked. After a six week shoot in Russia I wasn't about to have it
totalled by anyone. They even had a special person come along, take me into
a very small room where I was questioned at length why I didn't want the
film x-rayed, what was on it and said their machines were the safest in the
world for film.

After some time explaining the importance of the film content and some very
close inspection of the loose rolls of film in zip lock freezer bags, by a
couple of other officers they let me go on board.

I was also told that I should be prepared the next time for the film to go
through their machines or not get on the plane!

So how would you handle this kind of situation when you say,<<<<<>I won't
let my film (either exposed or unexposed) go through the X-ray machines.

Maybe do what I did, "cry a lot!" :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant