Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: X-ray Film Question
From: Dave Yoder <leica@home.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:38:58 -0700

Hi there Simon,

I don't think I was clear in the reason for my diatribe about press
difficulties. It was the ""I'm a
professional photographer so the rules don't apply to me."" that inflamed
me. I'd be happy if I got the privileges of the average citizen on many
occasions, much less special treatment. Sure, for many events the needs of
our jobs dictate that we have special access. However, I don't think I
personally know anyone who abuses that to the detriment of the general
public.

At LAX after asking for a hand inspection they've also done some kind of
chemical test on my equipment and film for what I presume is explosive
residue. There are reasonable alternatives to X-Ray. Even if they didn't
allow exceptions to the X-ray for carry-on stuff, there is still the
all-plastic handgun, or carry-on Semtec or a wide variety of weapons that
could rather easily be smuggled onto a jet. Universal strip-searches are
the best way to prevent such things but that's obviously considered too
much. I suggest that preserving irreplaceable film is also worthy of
alternative methods of inspection.

Dave Yoder