Subject: Re: [Leica] Hyperfocal
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:09:42 -0400

Andre-
The hyperfocal distance is a simple concept, a special case of 'depth of
field' and varies depending on focal length and aperture.
When a lens is focused at infinity, the distance beyond which the image is
in acceptable focus is the hyperfocal distance. If then, you focus at the
hyperfocal distance, everything from 1/2 the hyperfocal distance to infinity
is in focus.
For example- you have a lens mounted on your camera, focused at infinity,
and the depth of field table says that at that aperture, everything from 3m
to infinity is in acceptable focus. Three meters would be the hyperfocal
distance, and if you focused at the hyperfocal distance, then everything
from 1.5m to infinity would be in acceptable focus.
Usually, especially with Leica lenses!, you can use the scales on the barrel
to determine the hyperfocal distance, and knowing how to use it is the main
factor in getting 'zone focusing' to work for you!
Dan, whose dimming eyesight demands the use of zone focusing a lot these
days!