Subject: Re: [Leica] Hyperfocal
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:43:52 -0400

At 10:09 -0400 06/08/99, Dan Post wrote:
>For example- you have a lens mounted on your camera, focused at infinity,
>and the depth of field table says that at that aperture, everything from 3m
>to infinity is in acceptable focus. Three meters would be the hyperfocal
>distance, and if you focused at the hyperfocal distance, then everything
>from 1.5m to infinity would be in acceptable focus.

	--> it's a concept I once had understood but it sort
	of faded in the background with time.

	--> I tend to use selective focus a lot, not truly as
	the concept 'hyperfocal' works, though. It's quite
	clear how to go about it, depending on effective aperture.

	Thank you for your consideration,

	Andre Jean Quintal

	PS: This week, I remembered when I TRULY first
	held a Leica. I was a 6 or 7 year old child
	when an aunt, Tante Laurence, came to our home
	with a chrome Leica with an orange filter.
	It was instant gratification, indeed, when she
	graciously allowed me to hold her marvel,
	filpped on the weight and feel, the rangefinder
	was a total fascination (compared with my mother's
	Kodak Duoflex 620 -- 3 f/stops), and I remember I then told
	my mother that this was the camera "we" should get.
	It didn't work: my father's newspaper did not
	show the least tremor when I asked him,
	after lunch. He then had a double-take as the idea
	sank in. I figured if he was ready to blow money
	on jewelry and fancy cars why not get a real camera.
	I argued my case and cornered him with
	impeccable logic. He got angry and that was it.

	I remember reading everything and anything
	that had to do with "photography", especially
	the Kodak spec sheets, hoping to extract
	some more information to fuel my photo dreams,
	each and every new box of Verichrome Pan.

	Then, the Leica's orange filter was the source of a ton
	of kiddie questions and how I had to refer on
	how to adjust "my" B&W TV when words like "contrast"
	came up in the conversation. It was a sort of
	ecstasy, a first contact. It left a deep imprint
	in my subconscious mind. Kind Tante Laurence,
	helping me understand the purpose of the filter,
	and feel the focus ring, the aperture ring.,
	and let me put the strap around my neck and pretend
	I was making "real" photos.
	She had become a photo enthusiast with the passing years:
	I fail to remember the actual details
	but there was talk of a photo club and darkroom.
	One good hearted, classy lady.

	Did I understand what "focus" meant?
	I don't remember well enough to be positive about it.
	But I actually can recall the kinesic feeling:
	the 3D tactile Gestalt  of "the camera", the luster of chrome.
	I already knew it held an inner bewitching magic
	that would never leave me.

	That was about 1955-56, late Spring,
	and the Leica was new.

	Andre Jean Quintal