Subject: [Leica] Re: A Challenge
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:28:36 -0700

On 6 Aug 99, TSL wrote, at least in part:

> > Roger Beamon wrote:

> > > I like the Leica-Users List also, but not because of the intelligence
> > > level which I, frankly, think is no higher than other lists, merely
> > > more voluble!
> > >
> > > Folk interested in niche products tend to talk at greater length
> > > about them than those interested in the garden variety items.
> > > Besides, most C----, N---- and M------ users are out
> > > photographing and not trying to convince the world of the
> > > legitimacy of their pets.

> You applauded other camera users and denounced Leica Users as 'trying to
> convince' and clearly implied that we treat our Leica stuff like pets who
> need some sort of dog show to be loved so we would feel good ourselves.
> This was easily prone to inference.  Also you did seem to reassure us that
> we have your 'applause'! And, what I think triggered the initial response
> is that you used the word 'frankly'!

If you think that's applauding and denouncing, you've had a very
sheltered life. Believe me, you'll know when I'm applauding and
denouncing.

Inferred only by a few, I bet.

If you worry with my use of 'frankly', you must believe that the
intelligence level *is* higher here.  Self aggrandizement at its
best, but that's your prerogative, so do it if it makes you feel
better.

And I thought I was an eliteist...

- --
Roger