Subject: Re: [Leica] what the heck kind of leica is this?!
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:41:40 -0700

Kyle,

You do have a Leica M6. If I recall correctly, the first cameras made when
production shifted from Wetzlar to Solms had the plain "M6" on the front.
After a short time "Leica" was put back on the front. The fact that there
were only a small number produced like yours does not seem to have made them
any more valuable as "collector's" items.

The white circle with the line trough it is to designate the film plane.

I would be concerned about the fact that the serial number was milled off.
As has been discussed here before, this is a strong indication that this
camera was stolen at one time. It also might cause you problems having it
serviced in the future. A reputable dealer should not be selling a camera
with an obviously removed serial number. I agree that what your dealer told
you sounds suspect. I would suggest that you call Leica yourself and ask
them to confirm what your dealer says he was told. If Leica doesn't confirm,
tell them what your dealer is doing and let the dealer know that you don't
appreciate being lied to (I would do this while returning the camera on my
last trip to that dealer). Depending on how you feel, a call to your local
District Attorney's business fraud unit and your local Better Business
Bureau might also be in order. If Leica does confirm, I would ask them for a
letter explaining why your camera has had the serial number removed. This
written explanation could help you out in the future. You might also inquire
about sending the camera in so that a flash shoe with a serial number could
be installed. Don't forget that as long as you own a camera without a serial
number, you'll have trouble reporting it or having it returned if it's ever
stolen from you. You also might have trouble if, for any reason, it ever
comes to the attention of law enforcement or customs that you're carrying
around a valuable camera on which the serial number has been removed.

Bryan