Subject: Re: [Leica] what the heck kind of leica is this?!
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 08:42:58 -0700

Stan,

It may be that because the manufacturer is selling to an employee at less
than its wholesale price, they don't want the item to be eligible for any
warranty service. They may also want to restrict the ability of the employee
to resell the item at a profit. Many companies that offer heavily discounted
employee purchase options require that the employee agree not to resell
within a specified period of time and limit the number of items an employee
can purchase.

However, I have never heard that serial number removal is the policy of
Leica or Leica USA. And, as I pointed out in an earlier post, there are some
real concerns about owning a camera on which the serial number has been
clearly removed.

Bryan