Subject: Re: [Leica] what the heck kind of leica is this?!
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 10:31:58 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from mail: 7-Aug-99 [Leica] Leica Users digest .. by Leica
Users digest@mejac
> I would be concerned about the fact that the serial number was milled off.
> As has been discussed here before, this is a strong indication that this
> camera was stolen at one time.

    That's certainly a possibility, but perhaps the dealer was being
truthful. Long years ago, my father got an Argus C-3 brick. As we lived
in Ann Arbor, home of Argus, he got it through a friend of the family
who was an Argus employee. I have it still, and all Argus logos and
other references are removed from both the camera and the flashgun
(however, the lens bulge on the ERC still carries the name).
    Perhaps barrister Small can suggest some reasons for a company to
require this. I'm thinking it may have something to do with $, in that
the camera clearly cost the employee (and hence my father) less than if
bought from a shop.

Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh