Subject: Re: [Leica] what the heck kind of leica is this?!
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 12:02:02 -0400

Around 1970, when I worked in a camera store, employees could purchase
directly from Leitz one camera body and one lens on an annual basis.  As I
recollect, one could could buy these items at something like 50% of their
retail cost, *but* there was a *lot* of paperwork and the whole process
made it abundantly clear that Leitz wanted to control precisely what you
describe--selling the gear at a discount.  I couldn't afford (nor did I
especially want) a new M5, but several of my colleagues routinely bought
stuff for their collections.  I *never* saw a camera or lens that was
anything other than stock Leica--once or twice, I think--folk simply
purchased what we had in stock--which is to say, all serial numbers were
intact--one *had* to record them as a record of an employee purchase.

All this may have changed over the years, but that's the way it was then.

CHandos

At 10:31 AM 8/7/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I have it still, and all Argus logos and
>other references are removed from both the camera and the flashgun
>(however, the lens bulge on the ERC still carries the name).
>     Perhaps barrister Small can suggest some reasons for a company to
>require this. I'm thinking it may have something to do with $, in that
>the camera clearly cost the employee (and hence my father) less than if
>bought from a shop.

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown